One of the things on my to-do list for this year is to revamp by room a bit. I love my carpet and walls, but I’m in desperate need of some better storage solutions and some of my furnishings could do with a more colourful update. I also have plans for a big gallery wall! Project number one is my bedside lamp. I like the yellow base, but I’ve had the old lampshade for so long that it had doodles on it from when I was younger… so I covered the lampshade in vintage fabric and used some lace to spray paint a pattern on the base!
You will need: An old lamp, vintage fabric (1/2 meter would be plenty). hot glue gun (although PVA would probably work too), fabric scissors, wrapping paper, patterned lace, spray paint.
If you want to spray paint onto your base like I did, remove the lampshade and wrap the patterned lace around the bottom of the lamp a couple of times. Secure at the top with tape. I used gold paint, but I’m not sure of how it looks against the yellow. If I did it again I’d probably use black or white! Spray all over, leave to dry, and remove the lace. / For the lamp shade, place it onto the wrapping paper, and roll it around 360 degrees whilst drawing around the shade. / Add an extra couple of inches at the top of the bottom and the side of of the semi-circle, and cut out the shape. / Pin the wrapping paper shape to your vintage fabric, and cut out the shape.
Iron one of the vertical sides over by an inch. Drape the fabric over the lamp, making sure to smooth out all the creases, and glue the un-ironed vertical side onto the lampshade. / Squeeze a strip of glue onto the back of the ironed side of fabric, and press down. / Fold the fabric at the bottom under into the lampshade and glue down. Cut off any excess fabric. / Fold the fabric at the top over into the lampshade and glue down. Cut off any excess fabric, and this is what the inside should look like!
And you’re finished! I think it’s a pretty cute lamp. Soon my room will be full of clashing patterns and fabrics, yippee! And if you’re interested, the artwork at the back is something I did for my A level art, as part of my “teacup” project. I know it’s twee, but it’s colourful so I like it! The teapot was a gift from James, and I made the log vase!